22 May 2020
Stormers coach John Dobson has confirmed that Pieter-Steph du Toit remains on the same contract with WP Rugby.
The union said on Thursday that Du Toit had withdrawn the contract termination notification submitted last week just before the 21-day transfer window deadline.
The 27-year-old Bok flank will therefore remain with the Stormers until at least the end of the British & Irish Lions tour next year.
According to Netwerk24, Du Toit's current salary has not been increased or supplemented by a third party. He will also receive a salary reduction, as per the rugby industry’s financial impact plan.
'We could not and did not negotiate for a new contract,' said Dobson. 'We have only given him permission to negotiate his next contract at any time, whether it is here or wherever.'
Dobson said Du Toit had never looked to get more money from WP Rugby.
'He was anxious from the start that he was being treated the same as his teammates and fully realised how important it was for everyone to make sacrifices. Actually more than that. He embraced those sacrifices.'
However, according to the Daily Maverick, Du Toit received the terms he wanted to separate his image right earnings from his salary terms. This will allow him to pursue several more lucrative personal deals, which will more than compensate for his salary reduction.
Du Toit had reportedly been offered a R75-million, three-year deal by French club Montpellier, but Netwerk24 claims the French club is only interested in acquiring his services after next year's British & Irish Lions tour.
Photo: Ryan Wilkisky/BackpagePix